Friday, March 27, 2009

Friday Top Ten...and a much better Weekend Question.

Another week has passed. I am still here and still relatively healthy and free from prison so I can be thankful for that.

Friday Top Ten time...

10. I swore to myself that in writing this week's list that I would not dwell on this point too much. I have asked my wife to grab my eyelid and pull it down to my chin if she walks by and I am still dwelling on number ten...so I will try not to digress. Can someone please explain to me why Davey Johnson started Derek Jeter at shortstop and used Jimmy Rollins as DH in the semi-final game of the World Baseball Classic against Japan? Jeter produces more errors than an old man's colon produces polyps. Rollins is a rock, the best defensive shortstop, and quite possibly the best overall shortstop, in baseball today.

You wanna debate that?

That's what the comments section is for. Bring it.

But you will lose...especially if you try to make me laugh by suggesting Reyes is superior to Rollins...

Jeter hit .276 for the series...Rollins hit .417. Jeter was creating errors like they were concert curtain calls...Rollins was flawless. Jeter created the error that arguably lost them the game and went 1-5...Rollins went 4-4. Why was old man Jeter even IN this game? In fact...

OK...wife walked by...performed requested task...that REALLY hurt...

Moving on...

9. March Madness update. Thanks to the double punch of Missouri and Villanova I moved from the middle of the pack to second place last night. Great news really...until you hear that the wife is in first. Life around the hideaway has been rough. I am watching Arizona and Syracuse getting abused right now like an assistant director walking into Christian Bale's shot. I don't see myself sitting in second place much longer.

8. Ryan Moats needs to sue himself some Dallas police officers. This is simply unbelievable. This cop is either a careless jackass or a prodigious bigot. Either label is not one I would want to be saddled with. I don't see any defense for this "police officer". It is ass clowns like this guy who give decent, hard working police officers a bad name.

7. A Three Stooges movie? Apparently. Jim Carrey as Curly? Uhhh...

6. Fitty-Cent's twitter account is not really him. Dang. The source of my daily inspiration has been nothing more than a 140 character per post lie.

My plans of starting a Clint Howard fake me out Twitter account are now dashed...

5. President Obama had a televised "press conference" Tuesday night. I believe this was his most consistent expression all evening...



Throughout the hour long telecast the president looked like he wanted to leap over the podium and shove the Blackberries of several journalists where the sun don't shine. It's not hard to tell when Obama doesn't like a question.

Gimboid question of the night: Ann Compton's question about race. With her 30 seconds on global television, where she could have asked any thoughtful, insightful question she wanted, Ms. Compton offered up this cheerful hairball of a question...

"Yours is a rather historic presidency, and I’m just wondering whether in any of the policy debates that you’ve had within the White House, the issue of race has come up, or whether it has in the way you feel you’ve been perceived by other leaders or by the American people. Or have the last 64 days been a relatively color- blind time?"

Uhh...WHAT?!? Even if he DID feel he was being treated differently because of his race...what is he supposed to say?

"Well uh Ann, you know, I have been a beaten down black man all my life and these hateful white bigots here in Washington are no different."

The question was about as out of place as a meditation manual at an ADHD convention.

Obama gave the question more of a response than it probably deserved.

4. Seriously...Jeter OVER Rollins? WTH?!? MAYBE the Jeter from seven years ago...MAYBE...but not the current, can't hit the broad side of a barn with his throw, burned out model...

Oh crap...she is coming back...

3. The silly name "Freedom Tower" is being dropped for the new skyscraper they are building at the World Trade Centre site. It will now be referred to as 'One World Trade Center'. That is much more befitting to the memory of the former towers than the moniker "Freedom Tower".

To me, "Freedom Tower" sounds like the place they lock you up when you waste the president's time with silly questions...

2. This isn't really news...I just love it when Met fans trash their sorry excuse for a major league baseball team. Disgruntled dude here.

Ahh...ha ha ha ha ha...

1. Neil Gaiman is going to be spending some quality time about 43 minutes from my house! Neil at the PEN World Voices Festival of International Literature.

I am SO THERE, planning to attend all three sessions with Mr. Gaiman. Will most definitely Twitter and Blog the experience. If you are anywhere near me and want to tag along...let me know.

There is the list for this week. Not a super exciting list. I am hoping for some real debate about Jimmy Rollins in the comment section. Come on Met fans...you know you want to...


THE WEEKEND QUESTION


I promised to stay away from all things privy for this week's question. This question is, I promise, much more intellectual and philosophical.

We have had some very spring like weather here in Delaware today, complete with showers and slowly rising temperatures. Walking into school this morning the sidewalk was sloppy with worms wriggling their way across the concrete. Several lay broken on the ground, crushed by the unforgiving steps of people trying to get inside quickly.

What thoughts enter their tiny worm brains that inspire them to beach themselves on the concrete? Twitter style (140 characters or less) take a stab at what they are thinking that causes them to do this. Contest is open until Sunday @ 5:00PM (EST). Winner will be announced...prize of supreme worth will be issued...come on...think like a worm...post entries in the comments.

I'm gonna go finish watching this Kansas-Michigan State game...(GO SPARTANS)



19 comments:

  1. Worms retreat from their worm hole homes when the rain begins because quite frankly they do not want to drown. Just like humans in the shower, when it rains, worms head to their favorite side walk to exfoliate their skin, and generate new growth. Its best for worms to shower in the rain on cloudy days. Smart worms head back home once the sun comes out and the rain stops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is a thorough, scientific explanation...but what is the worm THINKING...in 140 characters or less...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike "LT 4 LIFE" CrilleyMarch 28, 2009 at 3:24 AM

    "Wow, what a dreary morning. Maybe before I go to work in the tunnels I'll swing by Starbucks for a Venti HalfCaf Soy Latt--"

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's the worm's version of sunning himself on the beach. Think about it... a worm in the sun = a crispy, dead (albeit trim) worm. They lay out there for a good soaking... keeps them plump and happy (albeit sometimes dead).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm... could they simply be dreaming of being Gene Kelly and enthusiastically performing their own rendition of "Singing In The Rain" unaware that dozens or even hundreds of footfalls will quickly demolish their production as well as themselves?

    ReplyDelete
  6. oops.. forgot to leave my name... this is Cris-Annette

    ReplyDelete
  7. because a spring shower stirs the same dangerous hope in worms that motivates horny men to risk-taking that may result in an awful stomping

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Katie...

    So are you saying it is in fact better to look good than to feel good?

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Mike...

    I didn't realize worms were worried about their weight...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Precisely. I am not shallow. I'm not. I just have the ability to think like a worm. Wait, that can't be good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Michelle...

    Talk of horny men and worms is making me feel uncomfortable...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brian,

    LOL

    sorry.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  13. Worm: "Everyone always wonders about the chicken's plight across the road...how come no one ever wonder's about me and my species trying to cross a sidewalk? I would like to think that this is a much more trying and dangerous task and in the event that I make it...it's much more impressi..........."(squished by a giant human foot)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well it's a simple case of the way earthworms are wired. All earthworms are hermaphrodites containing both male and female parts. Therefore they are late leaving their homes when it rains because even though their hole is about to be flooded the female part refuses to leave until the hole is very clean because you never know who might show up once the water recedes. Once they are finally out of their homes a sidewalk/roadway is their only choice. Once the rain finishes the male part insists that he does not need directions to find his way back to the hole. Invariably he chooses the way that involves the longest stretch of blacktop and therefore you have shriveled up worms.

    ReplyDelete
  15. As far as what they are thinking in 140 characters or less. "How can I possibly be concerned with trivial things like rain when physically I can't distinguish my head from my rear end".

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ok, Brett's explanations, both the long one and the short one? Priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The worm is thinking 'hey, it is raining and I am a worm and I mate in the rain. There is not enough room here in this hole for the two of us anyway so I am going north above ground to find a mate. Hey wingman, there is a sexy hermaphrodite worm over there by that tree. I wish we didn’t have to cross this hot surface. Dang, the sun is coming out! We are going to dry up! Some wingman you are! The lesson here...be satisfied with the hermaphrodite worms on this side of the sidewalk'

    ReplyDelete
  18. OK...time to decide...


    Some of you make great worms...not sure if that should be a point of pride but there ya go...

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT HERE...YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO