Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Is Back to School Night Important?

Back to School

The parents walk into their child's kindergarten classroom on "Back to School" night, flush with enthusiasm to learn about the exciting experiences their daughter has been having so far in class and the journeys she will be embarking upon the rest of the year. They are eager to learn how the classroom is run, what curriculum the teacher will be using, and any way they can help as they collaborate with the teacher throughout the year.

Husband and wife gladly jot their names on the sign in roster, grabbing the small packet the teacher has thoughtfully prepared beforehand. They navigate their way around small tables, full to bursting with anticipation to see the "ME" book their daughter diligently prepared for them in class and judiciously briefed them on before they departed for the school.

The mother spots it first and points. The father looks and smiles. The glossy photo of his beloved daughter adorns the red construction paper cover, bright crayon spelling out her name across the front in her slightly crooked but ever improving child's penmanship. The parents go over and have a seat in chairs five times too small for their adult backsides. They flip through the pages, marveling at the work their once tiny baby, now a sophisticated kindergartener, has produced just for them to enjoy this night.

The teacher makes her way to the front, greeting parents as she goes. The parents listen in rapt silence as she runs them through a typical day for their daughter, using a power point presentation replete with adorable snapshots of the students engaged in their daily activities. The schedule, the specials, the learning centers, the classroom expectations...all of it important information for the parents to be aware of as they search for ways to maximize their daughter's learning potential. It is a wonderful, informative night.

When the evening comes to a close the parents thank the teacher, shaking her hand and voicing how happy they are with the presentation and how glad they are that their daughter has such an amazing teacher. The teacher smiles, accepting the compliment with great humility and encourages the parents to leave a note for their daughter in her mailbox to read in the morning.

They do so and as the father turns to leave, his eyes sweep the classroom one more time. On the tables he notices well over a dozen "ME" books created by his daughter's classmates. They lay there, untouched, unopened, because the parents of those children did not make it out for the evening. The dad pauses, wondering where these parents are. Work? Unable to find child care? Just plain uninterested?

He knows it is not really any of his business but he feels sorry for these other kids just the same. When half the class comes in tomorrow they will come in to see their hard work already collected and taken home. They will come in to loving and encouraging notes. The ones whose parents did not make it will come in to their "ME" books left behind like unwanted party guests, mailboxes as devoid of loving notes as a desert is devoid of trees.

He wonders where these parents are...and the message their absence is sending to their children...he wonders...

8 comments:

  1. As you know, that's equally heartbreaking for the teacher to watch. I see a direct correlation in student achievement and levels of parental/guardian investment in their educations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I could visualize the scene as I read through it. Our adult lives get so complicated and busy. I just do not understand not being able to put things aside when it comes to our children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Andrea...yes...as a teacher it is a real challenge not to let it get me down. As a teacher it saddnes me. As a parent it perplexes me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ben! I don't get it either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know. I don't recall ever missing a chance to be at school to support my daughter. I WANT to be there for those moments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Solid writing Brain. Nough said :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It only gets worse at the high school stage - I teach high school and am amazed at the "check-out" rate of parents!!! I have three little girls and continue to learn to be a better parent daily!

    ReplyDelete
  8. When my children went to elementary school, preschool through eighth grade, I went to every "back to school" night the school hosted. I could repeat what the teacher and principal could say. Since I was on the school board for a number of years, I was introduced by the principal. It seemed as a parent it was my duty, but also my joy to be there. I also felt sorry for the children whose parents could not be there, but discovered there were multiple reasons and I tried not to judge too harshly. Still, it left me with such a sad feeling. I wasn't and am not as involved in the girls' high schools, but do check in and let teachers know who I am and how I can be reached. I want my girls to know I am there for them. It's that simple.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT HERE...YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO