Sunday, October 3, 2010

One Hundred Word Challenge - Ditch

The prompt for this week's flash fiction over at Velvet Verbosity is ditch. The task was to write one hundred words inspired by that word. Here's my go...


Pursuit

He sprinted down the crowded city street. Someone had talked. And now they were after him.

He dove sharply left, into a narrow alley. Dropped to one knee at its opening.

Less than a minute passed before a dark figure raced by the alley, immediately followed by a second.

As he looked a heavy hand dropped with the terrible weight of all the world upon his thin shoulder. A winded voice exhaled one chilling word.

"Gotcha."

The boy looked up into the red face of the truancy officer.

Ditching school was not the adventure he had hoped it to be.

7 comments:

  1. LOL... I think I may have lived this story!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually jumped at the part where the heavy hand fell. Autobiographical?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well played. I'm going to have to check out Velvet Verbosity. Looks like a good outlet for fast fiction -- one where I wouldn't have to rewrite and obsess and rewrite and obsess and rewrite and obsess.

    I've been a Chalkboard follower for a little while now, but I haven't mentioned before that you've got a kick-ass Favorite Writers list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @DP...Thaks man! I have more I could add to the list but didn't want to overdo it!

    The 100 word fiction on VV is a lot of fun and it is stretching as well.

    I do a similar thing here for dads that has taken a small hiatus but will be kicking back into gear next week called The Father 100.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahaha! This reminds me of a story I wrote in middle school -- the story that really launched me into a love of writing.

    I wish I still had that story, I'd like to see how I've progressed.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT HERE...YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO