Saturday, August 28, 2010

Guys, Are We Brave Enough to be Real Husbands?

The Internet is an amazing thing. Scary, dangerous, and a time suck of epic proportions (thanks for nothing Al Gore), but for the most part it is the best thing since sliced bread. Back in June I picked my old blog up off the floor where it had sat, abandoned, for almost a year. I dusted her off, pulling off two old gummy bears and some stringy spider webs and began to once again spend my evenings listening to the voices in my head and writing down what they tell me.

Through the site Dad-Blogs and later the hashtag #DadsTalking on Twitter I have met some really outstanding dads. Men who write amazing things about the awesome privilege we have been given that we should be called dad. Many of these fine, upstanding gentleman are listed in my blog roll under the Awesome Parent Blogs section and I am adding more daily. When you are finished here, jump over there and check some of these guys out. You will not consider your time wasted.

Today on Twitter @TedRubin linked to a post from early July by one of those dad bloggers, @DadStreet. It was a great post about how a guy's priorities shift when he becomes a father from "Am I a MANLY MAN?" to "Am I a GOOD DAD?". It is an awesome post that you can find by clicking here. Go ahead and read it. No, really...I'll wait here for you. I have a good book to read and a nice glass of Sebeka to drink...I will be here when you finish.

Welcome back. See, I told you it was a good post. I read it earlier today and it got me thinking about the importance of our role on Earth as fathers. I could only think of one other role that I think is just as important and that is our role as husbands (for those to whom that classification applies). So, in the spirit of Dad Street, I decided to make my own list.

A list about what it means to be a "Real Husband". Here goes...


- After your wife has had a rough day, taking her shoes off and rubbing her feet, WITHOUT having to be asked to do so.

- Being a considerate person and doing the little things, like leaving the toilet seat down. It seems like such a small thing to us guys but if you do it on a consistent basis it shows how considerate you are. Let's face it. What guy really cares if the seat is up OR down?

- Actually picking up a pen or pencil and writing notes to your wife, they way you did in the beginning. It doesn't even have to be anything elaborate or verbose. Simple declarations of your love will work just fine, a reminder about how amazing she is as a mother. A Post It note left on the bathroom mirror, a note slipped into her lunch, a mailed letter, from you. All expressions that show you care enough to invest time in letting your wife know how crazy you are about her.

- Buying your wife some flowers or something nice, not because you screwed up, but because you want her to know how thankful you are that she settled for a shlub like you and that you still see everyday how incredible she is.

- Opening the car door for her. I know it's not 1950, but if you did it when you were dating or trying to impress, then you damn well should still do it now.

- Watching something on TV she asks you to watch, even if it seems to you like you would rather see the TV exploded at the bottom of a quarry in flames rather than sit and watch it. You don't have to tell your buddies that you watched the Beverly Hills 90210 Reunion Special last night. Don't ask, don't tell applies here. (The one exception to this rule is reality television. Shows like Jersey Shore or Real Housewives should not be watched under any circumstance)

- Helping with your share of the household chores. Laundry, vacuuming, cooking. You live there...pull your weight.

- Telling her you love her before she reminds you to say it by telling you.

- Encouraging her to go out with her girlfriends for some girl time more than once a year. Come on dad, you can take care of the kids without the house blowing up. Don't buy the crap the media sells you about fathers being simple minded buffoons who can't do something as simple as watch over their own offspring. Hollywood thinks it's funny. I don't.

- Being there and wanting to be there. There's nothing wrong with going out with your buddies from time to time, but if you are out every weekend, or several nights a week and you leave her home with the kids, what kind of message are you sending about your priorities? Both to her AND to your children...

- Making time to go out on dates, just the two of you. I know the phrase "date night" has become a bit of a cliche, but the idea behind it is still important. And don't leave all the arrangements to her. You are an intelligent guy. You can arrange the babysitting and make the reservations. In the meat grinder that is life, it is important to make the time to be alone.

- Realizing that there is more to foreplay than asking "Hey, you ready yet?" Just saying...

- Not going to bed angry or with unresolved issues between each other. The Bible says it nicely when it advises "not to let the sun go down on your anger." Really...life is too short and too unpredictable to have unresolved issues between yourselves.

- Listening to her, instead of trying to solve all of her concerns with a snap of your magic man fingers so you can go back  to what's on the television. Sometimes, all she wants is someone to listen.

This is by no means an exhaustive list. And by no means am I trying to imply by publishing it that I am the Mount Everest of husbands because I do all these things on a regular basis. I do not, just ask The Wife and, after she stops laughing, she will fill you in.

But it is a list I want to strive to adhere to, much as @DadStreet's list is one I strive to adhere to.

Any dads reading this, please add any points you feel I left out (there are hundreds) in the comment section below. I would be interested to see what kind of list we could all collaborate and produce.

Men, the two greatest treasures we are given in this life are our spouse and our children. We should be willing to fight our way through hell and back to ensure that they know just how precious they really are to us.

20 comments:

  1. What a sweet and thought filled list. Your wife is one lucky lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keeping her stocked with her favorite snack.
    I can't stand that disappointed look on her face when there are no "special cookies" in the pantry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @WM...thaks. I am by no means a master of this list...but they are good goals to shoot for.

    @Ben...hunter-gatherer...of COOKIES!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heck, Dude. I'LL marry you myself. If my wife doesn't get to you first.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Right on, brother. I model many of these myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Try to live by the list too, but had forgotten writing notes. Great list and thanks for sharing (and reminding us).

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Touch her heart before you touch her body." - C. J. Mahaney from Sex, Love and Glory of God.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great post! So glad to have found you and other dads on Twitter who are so committed to fatherhood and their wives!

    Blessings,
    Laurie
    http://livingpower.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did your wife commandeer your blog and write this post? I kid of course. But seriously your point of view is too one sided. Over time your generosity will manifest into bitterness as you'll feel you're shoulder all of the work in the relationship. It takes two to get to the altar. It should be two that walk the path of life together.

    Latest post on CuteMonster.com:

    Tricycle to Bicycle

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cutemonsterdad...you totally missed the point sir.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There are many things on this list that my husband does not do. I'm not complaining, it's just fact. However, there is one thing that he does that let's me know he loves me: On weekdays he wakes me up with a cup of coffee in bed. That's all it takes sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. over here from Mrs. 4444's blog. Good list but I'm not fond of lists like to-do lists. Really, the big thing is attitude about your relationship which will change over time. Staying positive is easier said than done.
    Maybe I should have my son-in-laws read this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don't forget "Changing the wiperblades on her car, just to be sweet." Tonight, Mr.4444 greeted me after a LONG day at school with a delicious meal that he kept perfectly warm for us to enjoy together. Loved your post and loved the linked post, too :) Thanks for linking up tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post (like the linked one too). Happy to see 'my type of men'...Willing to share your life with kids, wife. Not only drink beer and watch sports on television or go out with buddies more than stay at home with the family...
    SS greetings from Casa,
    have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a wonderful post! I'm going to let people know about that hashmark for dads on Twitter too in my Friday "Things I Learned This Week" post. I marked this on Delicious, StumbleUpon and Tweeted it. I am now a follower and am adding you to my blog roll.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is not meant as a checklist to fill out then move on.

    The predominating focus of each point is selflessness. The daily practice of guys putting their wives before themselves in all that they do, from the small things to the big ones.

    ReplyDelete
  17. As a mom and wife I can tell you that even sticking with a few things on this list will make a world of difference. I can also say sometimes it's easy for women to expect these things of men-but forget similar things ourselves. It's easy to see what the guys are doing wrong, sometimes it's not so easy to see what we're forgetting. I'd suggest that women look at the "man version" of things on this list and work on doing those. It's easy to get caught up in how late your husband gets home or that he hasn't taken out the trash...but putting forth the effort on both sides could turn a marriage around!

    Came by from Saturday Sampling-so glad I did!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My husband once asked me to come home from my vacation a few days early because he ran out of underwear. I stayed two extra days. He bought underwear. He has since learned how to run the washer (via post-it note instructions) and we don't have that problem anymore. It's the little things.

    Your list is lovely. Thankfully my husband has a few of those suggestions in his repertoire already.

    Kristin - The Goat
    via Saturday Sampling

    ReplyDelete
  19. How about: Sending a quick "just checking in to see how your day's going and to tell you that I love you" e:mail, anytime, just because... and doing this after being together 25 years, 17 years married and 2 kids later.

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great list and your wife and kids sound like they are lucky to have you! I think there is a lot of pressure on men once they become husbands and especially when they become fathers, and there isn't much discussion about it when you compare it to what you hear and read about women.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT HERE...YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO