Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Branson, MO - An East Coast Perspective

The wise sage and American philosopher Homer Simpson once declared that Branson, Missouri is what Las Vegas would be like if it was run by Ned Flanders. The truth of that statement cannot be understated.

I had been to Branson before and as this was my third trip out, I knew that this time I was prepared…or so I thought. It seems, however, that an east coast boy such as myself can never be fully prepared for Branson. It is now apparent that I will always find things that surprise, and quite frankly scare, me.

An example, perhaps?

Box cutters Optional…

On Saturday we braved the one hundred plus degree Missouri heat and went with The Wife’s family to an amusement park called Silver Dollar City. I grew up on the east coast going to amusement parks like Hershey Park, Six Flags, Dorney Park, and King’s Dominion. Silver Dollar City is quite similar to these parks…if they were suddenly taken over and run one day by the cast of the Beverley Hillbillies. Banjo music and steel guitars blare out of the fake rocks that are actually speakers placed strategically around the grounds. Character actors amble about the park dressed in nineteenth century gold digger garb. Succotash is cooked in fifty foot wide frying pans and sold alongside common amusement park fair such as hamburgers and hot dogs.

In spite of the banjos (and the Succotash), Silver Dollar City is a great place to take the family. The park workers are a thousand times nicer then amusement park workers on the east coast, most of whom glare at you as you walk around the park, as if they resent the fact that you are breathing and, on top of that, have the gall to take your family out for a day of fun in their park and force them to deal with you. The rides are decent and the food is pretty good. The thing that surprised me most about Silver Dollar City is that we were not searched upon entering. People carrying large bags, large enough to carry caches of automatic weapons and improvised explosives, were pushed right through the gates. No bag searches, no pat downs. 

As The Wife, The Peanut, my mother-in-law, and I were standing in a fairly long and sweaty line to ride the water flume, I saw something I had never seen before in an amusement park.

There was a family of four in front of us, mom, dad, sister, brother. They were all wearing the same color shirts bearing the logo of their family reunion. The father, a large beefy guy with hairy arms and thick side burns that stopped just short of his long goatee, was complaining to his wife about the fact that his t-shirt wasn’t sleeveless and it was “bothering the bejesus” out of him. She reached into the large pocket of his massive cargo shorts and pulled out a gleaming silver object. With a Wolverine like snikt she thumbed open a five inch box cutter and began performing sleeve removal surgery right there in the line. Out in the open, making no attempt at stealth, she wielded an instrument that would have gotten her detained at some amusement parks I have been to and flat out arrested in others. She sliced off the left sleeve, revealing a hairy shoulder, then switched and quickly dispatched the right. When she was finished she picked up the amputated sleeves, sheathed the blade on the box cutter, and returned them to her husband’s shorts. As she was turning around after stowing her husband’s sharp edged weapon she caught my eye. She must have read the confused look in my eye (which, given the agape nature of my lower jaw, was not too difficult to ascertain).

“Well,” she said with a grin, “ya never know, do ya?”

“Yes’um,” I returned with a tip of my cap, not wanting to antagonize her or her husband, whose cold steel eyes took me in from underneath the frayed brim of his camouflaged baseball hat.

And the banjos played on...

When we go back to Branson in two years I have to take a video camera. People here on the east coast just don't believe me.

12 comments:

  1. That's just too funny. The farther west you get... Oh man. You don't even know. I'm from Idaho. I don't think this would have even surprised me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could have gone on and on, but didn't want a twenty page blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brian,
    I have always loved your writing. I miss the DSTP writings you used to do!
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  4. A different world for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LMAO...I understand the East Coast bit a lot. I died laughing with the box cutter...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha...we always joke about moving to Branson because my wife (family practice doc) often gets job offers there. We could abandon our modest lifestyle in SoCal and live like royalty in MO.

    BTW, we used to live in VA and frequent King's Dominion. I still think the Rebel Yell is the best coaster ever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been to Branson once in my life, and I didn't really do anything there. However, I have been to the Wisconsin Dells which I've heard is a poor man's version of Branson (Branson being a poor man's version of Vegas). The Dells were fun and wholesome. There was one amusement park I used to go to in connecticut. But, I can't remember the name of it. It was sorta dinky and stupid, but it was ok.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why in God's name would you ever go to such a place? No offense.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Emily...In-Laws family reunion...not a location of MY choosing...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never been to Branson, but it sounds like it was a great place to people watch!

    Kristin - The Goat
    by way of Saturday Sampling

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brian, I loved this! You are a talented writer, and I laughed all the way through. This one's going in my favorites this week (in my sidebar). But are you sure you don't want to call it, "dada-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding"?

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT HERE...YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO