Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Father 100


OK dads (and interested moms). Time for another feature here at the chalkboard.

I am a big fan of flash fiction, love to read it and love to write it. It is fun to write and is excellent practice for making your writing more concise. So I got to thinking...I do flash fiction. Could there be such a thing as flash NON-fiction? 'Why not,' I said to myself. 'I think there could be and I think it could be a lot of fun. I also think I should stop talking to myself now.'

The result of this inner dialog?

THE FATHER 100!

The rules are simple. I will give you a word. Yes, that's right A word. As in one. Single. The cheese stands alone...you get the point.

You will have between now and midnight on Friday to write a one hundred word post inspired by that word. Entries can be less than one hundred words, but they cannot be more. Posts must focus on some aspect of parenting. Even though I call this the Father 100, moms are encouraged to join us!

Ninety words? Cool.

Ninety-eight? Awesome.

One hundred two? Sorry chief.

One hundred words (or less).

Write your post on your blog and then add your link to the linky tools below, just like for Father Friday.

Sometime over the course of the weekend I will read all the entries. Then I will pick the entry that I feel best does justice to the spirit of the given word. Some weeks I will have a guest do the judging so I can play as well.

This exercise is strictly for fun and also for good writing practice. As of this time no prizes will be offered. Should I win the lottery or score a successful reality series (Real Dads of Delaware...can you see it?) that may change, but for now the chosen author will have to content himself with the prideful swell of a job well done.

I think this can be a lot of fun. Who is in?

I will start off with an easy word in our inaugural Father 100. The first word is...

LOVE

Come on parents! Let's show the world how well we can write!

11 comments:

  1. I'm down, looking forward to trying my hand at that

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting concept. I've seen Flash Fiction, but I've never had the gumption to give it a shot. I'm game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brian, you can beat me for leaving the " in the title. Sorry buddy, didn't mean to jar the coding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool idea. Haven't done an exercise like this since college. I'm in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shawn...the beatings will continue until moral improves...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm writing now. How do I incorporate love? The title? The story?

    ReplyDelete
  7. written and entered. 99 words....eat that

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like this idea and look forward to more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This mom is in. LOVE this concept. I can totally hang with the dads.

    ReplyDelete
  10. sounds like an intriguing idea! At least the topic isn't something open ended or anything :-)

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT HERE...YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO