Monday, February 14, 2011

Writing - It's a Love/Hate Thing.


"The pages are still blank, but there is a miraculous feeling of the words being there, written in invisible ink and clamoring to become visible."       - Vladimir Nabokov

"Writing is easy. All you do is sit staring at a blank sheet of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead." - Gene Fowler

The act of writing is a strange beast. A creature to love and to loathe, quite often at the exact same time.

It can be an act whose very execution causes the soul to feel at one with the universe. The writer can almost feel the wind blowing full-on into the sails of the story, mother nature herself dotting the i's and crossing the t's. The act of writing becomes a journey to a mythical land, where mysteries abound and the unexpected can happen at any time. A tantalizing feeling of creative freedom unlike any other.

It can also be a real soul-sucking, spirit-crushing, pain in the ass.

Some days I sit before the keyboard and the words just spill out of me, a veritable Niagara Falls of ideas. Smoke rises from the keyboard as my fingers blaze over it, the soft tapping of the keys a symphony of creativity. The clock vanishes from my mind, the world around me falls away, a vague figure behind thick, opaque glass. I love these days when they occur. It would be more accurate (and, admittedly, a tad pretentious) to say I live for these days. To watch a world or an idea gloriously take shape with me as its architect.

Then there are the other days.

Days when my mind is full to bursting with the desire to write, fingers at the ready, the house set at quiet (mostly)...yet...nothing. The flow is blocked. I urge. I push. I strain. Still nothing. Not so much as a single, cohesive sentence that doesn't look like one of my fifth grade students wrote it. No, that's not fair. A sentence so malformed that even my fifth graders would sneer at its stylistic ineptitude. I try to eradicate the block. I take a walk. I listen to some music. I do some work around the house. I read. I lose my way in the quagmire known as Facebook or its thorny neighbor, Twitter. I sit and stare at the wall.

Sometimes I am successful and the stubborn block eases a bit, enabling me to get something that is readable down. But there are other days when, no matter how much I try to dislodge it, the block stays firmly cemented in place, smugly smirking at my efforts. On these days, when my frustration is at its highest, when I want to toss the laptop into the incinerator and reduce it to a tiny, smoking lump, I have started to do something new. I have started to write anyway. I grit my teeth and take a chainsaw to that block, writing as an act of sheer, determined, willpower. Mostly what comes out on these days is weak. But it is there. Granted, a good deal of it finds its way to the bottom of my digital recycle bin, but not all of it. The creative juices, as stunted as they were, flowed just a bit.

Through this bullheaded insistence to write, even when my own personal creativity department has headed off to Fiji for the day without me, I have discovered a strange phenomenon. The more I tackle these frustrating days head on, the frequency of their occurrence diminishes. They are hell to go through. But I come out on the other side better than when I went in, even if I end up deleting a good portion of what I wrote. "Builds character," as my dad always said when I was a kid. When those words came out of his mouth I knew that I was in for some back-breakingly difficult work, something I would not enjoy but that I would be able to learn from, whether I wanted to or not.

Turns out at age thirty-seven, it still means the same thing.

How about you? What do you do to unblock your writing when you want it to come, need it come, yet it stays stubbornly locked in your mind, refusing to come out until it is good and ready? How do you get the creative juices flowing when they are log-jammed? Share you thoughts in the comments below.

10 comments:

  1. I unblock my writing by watching television, taking a nap, or just go about doing something else. Sitting at the keyboard would just be a waste of time and no fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read stuff that moves me. I find writing exercises like 100 words or flash fiction. I check out other writers like you. Rarely do I sit in front of a computer screen or a legal pad with pencil and blank out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Michael...I agree about the sitting. But sometimes I just need to so I don't get distracted into something else.

    @Lance...I do many of those same things. I miss doing the 100 word fiction. Time to jump back in, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darn writers block. I write anything that comes to mind and in between those words I find what I really want to say. It usually helps me know my characters more.When all else fails there is nothing like ice cream and Glee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Try watching movie trailers. They work for me for some reason.
    Stopping by to introduce myself as a new follower and fellow crusader. Did you find out what group you're in yet?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kerri...ice cream yes...I'll pass on Glee... :-)


    Raquel...Movie trailers huh? Gotta keep that in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi crusader, stopping by to say hello. New follower.

    Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  8. SO glad I'm not the only one struggling with this ...

    My current writer's "block" isn't really about writing. It has to do with my completed manuscript, which I feel compelled to change completely only because it's too long. I am very happy with it (and am ridiculously happy that it is completed and has been for some time), but it seems like it needs to be shorter in order to get the right kind of attention.

    Or maybe I'll start a new WiP and instead stress about writer's block of a more conventional kind ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Klo...thanks for the comment. Whatever form it takes, the block is infuriating.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT HERE...YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO