Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Oteka - The Strong One


In my mind's eye I still see him as I knew him. The dirty blonde hair, the dimpled smile, the mischievous eyes. Laughing in the sunday school room, playing games on the lawn at VBS. That is how I remember Nathan Henn, I in my late teens, early twenties, he a child who made everyone around him smile. When he sent me a friend request on facebook a few months ago and told me about the money he was raising so he could go to Africa it was a cool opportunity to see what he had been up to since those early years so long ago. I followed his status updates as he raised the funds for his trip to Africa and was happy for him when he finally achieved his goal and left the shores of the United States to spend time furthering the cause he believed so passionately in.

The shock of reading on the CNN main page about his sudden death at the hands of faceless cowards stole the breath from my body.

This man, who had dedicated two years of his life to being the "hands and feet" of his God for little or no pay, at a time when most people his age were out seeking their fortunes, is a model for us all. At a time when strong belief in a cause is at best treated with eyebrow raised indifference and at worst treated as fodder for Saturday Night Live comedians, Nate showed us how to do it right. In his facebook requests for help to fund his trip to Africa, there was never any hint of self-righteous pretension, no 700 Club style panhandling. Just the sincere heart of a man who knew, beyond the shadow of a doubt, where he was meant to be, where he WOULD be, and what he was meant to be doing.

For reasons known only to God, Nate is no longer with us. As one person put it on the Invisible Children Blog memorial for Nate, "...pray for us for we live in a confusing world." We do indeed live in a confusing world. But I thank God that we have people like Nathan Henn who we can look to, even in their untimely absence, to see the sure footed, uncompromising steps they take in the walk to accomplish what they know in their hearts to be the path that God has chosen for them. It isn't a metaphysical exercise, a coffeehouse conversation for people like Nate. It is a life lived the only way they know how, a life lived with devotion, perseverance, and faith.

Oteka is a man who used his strength to fight for those who could not fight for themselves, and he did so not for fame, fortune, or prestige. He did so simply because he knew it was the right thing to do. I thank him for his shining example and I know that because of "The Strong One", and the God that he serves, more good will rise from the rubble of this mindless violence than ill.

We Love You Nate - a page to give to further the legacy of Nate Henn.

7 comments:

  1. Brian-my condolences. What a tragic end to a compassionate and dedicated young man. Invisible Children is a great cause. How sad that this young man was lost to senseless violence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian, I was so sorry to hear about Nathan. He sounds like a wonderful man with a huge heart and the desire to help where he could. I am hoping his legacy lives on and on. It is the only way to defeat the evil that took his life. I am extending my sympathy not only to you, but to all those who will never know him. Men and women like Nathan are a rare, special breed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful, beautiful tribute. So sorry to hear about this loss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the kind words friends.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never knew Nate but now know and will always remember and pray for his spirit and family he has left behind. I am a Ugandan, and know the immense pain children in the northern Uganda have gone through. They desperately look out for someone to love, guide and hold their hand. Calm down their fears for most are orphans. For Nate to live his comfort environment in the USA and offer his love and shoulder to lean on by these strangers he never knew but who have come to love him and named him Oteka is a testament of his big heart, compassion and authentic spirit. I am in grief as to why such a beautiful soul and 74 others have been ruthlessly taken away from this world that desperately needs them. I am in tears for the orphans who had found a brother, a father and friend in Nate and yet again the sword of evil is thrust at them and they loose him. Oh Lord May you heal our hearts and to the Henn family thank you for rising such a wonderful man and sharing him with us. To Nate rest in peace my brother you lived a quality filled life and may we continue your work and look out for others in need.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your thoughts anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brian, thanks for your thoughts - well deserved by the life of Nathan whom I remember much the way you do as part of the Bethel youth group/church family. My prayers are for his family (and bro Kyle who just survived a plane crash), may God comfort them and those who were like family to Nate in Uganda... may God be their strength. I pray when my time comes, I might also be found in the midst of God's will for my life... helping others find true freedom.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT HERE...YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO