Monday, August 4, 2008

My 100 things...

A lot of blogs have one. Since I am still in somewhat of a drug induced stupor (all hail the maker of Percocet), I figured now is the time. Here goes...

1. I am 34. There is life after thirty it seems, though for me it appears to be full of hernia operations and pain meds. And a slowly receding hairline...
2. I am a husband. Of a beautiful, intelligent, sexy woman. She may be older than me but she keeps up...(I am getting couched for that one)
3. I am a father. She is smarter than me, funnier then me, and cuter than me. She inspires me each day to try to be the man I ought to be and is always there with a hug and a kiss when I need them most.
4. I love to read. Take a gifted writer, give them a good story to tell and you will have me captivated for days on end.
5. I am a teacher. And I do it willingly...
6. I have a Beagle. We rescued her from 'Scary Dog Man' five years ago. She is emotionally unstable and likes to chew Motrin.
7. Monty Python is god. Don't think I need to add any more actually.
8. I like movies. Though for me the book is always preferable, the only thing that rivals my book collection is my DVD collection.
9. I live in Delaware. **Insert joke about the size of Delaware here**
10. I am a Phillies fan. Yes...the only professional sports organization with more than 10,000 losses. Those Phillies...and don't say anything about them cause then we will have to fight.
11. I am an Eagles fan. I know...glutton for punishment. E-A-G-L-E-S...EAGLES!
12. Like any good Philly fan I HATE the Mets, Yankees, Cowboys, Giants, Redskins, Penguins, Red Wings, and the Celtics. These terms are non-negotiable.
13. My wife rides a mountain bike. I watch...
14. I love to cook on the grill. Beer can chicken...mmmmmm.
15. I was a drama geek in high school. I played Bilbo Baggins as a sixth grader in the high school production of The Hobbit. In some ways, it has been all downhill from there...
16. My brother is not gay. But he has a huge Eeyore tattoo on his back that makes him LOOK gay. Not that there is anything wrong with that...
17. I am primarily Italian, Irish and Welsh. This means I am a bad tempered drunk who never rats on his friends and has a lovely singing voice.
18. I like to take pictures. Now if I could only get the damn neighbors to drop the restraining order...
19. Ka is like a wheel. I applaud you if you know why this is here at number nineteen.
20. I love to play disc golf. It's golf...with discs...it's fun...no really...it is...I promise...
21. I like to write. Guess this would be a huge waste of time if I didn't...
22. I like to read aloud to my daughter. Our favorite book to read aloud is called 'Climbing the Daddy Mountain'. It is a great book but my nether regions have taken quite the pounding from my daughter's attempts to live it out.
23. I laugh out loud when I read something funny. As a result I am not allowed to read writers like Christopher Moore or Carl Hiassen in bed...I must read them down on the couch where my bursts of laughter will only keep the Motrin chewing Beagle awake.
24. Jack Bauer kicks ASS! You know he does...
25. I voted for President Bush. And I deeply, deeply apologize...
26. I like Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Sugar coated pieces of heaven...
27. I almost killed myself when I was sixteen. It involved a three-wheeler and the desire to impress girls. Seventy stitches later...
28. I like NASCAR. I married into it...what can I say...(and it has nothing to do with number 25).
29. I only wear cargo shorts. It is not a fashion statement...they have pockets big enough to hold a book and I always have a book with me so...
30. My house is over one hundred years old. I think our attic is haunted by a smallish ghost with a predilection for Victorian era Homilies...
31. I am politically moderate. Extreme Lefties and Extreme Righties are simply characteratures who either can't or won't try to see both sides of an issue.
32. I like the word Asshat. As in 'Michael Savage is an asshat for his sycophantically stupid comments about autism'.
33. I enjoy spending time Geocaching. Check it out...www.geocaching.com
34. I ran the bases at Veteran's Stadium when I was a kid. Got on the field for the Phanatic's birthday. I remember thinking the turf felt just like my grandmother's back porch.
35. I ran into a rosebush when I was a child. I never claimed to be a smart kid...
36. I like listening to podcasts.
37. Kevin Smith rocks. In a row?!?
38. I have a hairy ass. Thank you ancestors...
39. I attended bible college for two years. I got in trouble for going to the movies to see Mrs. Doubtfire. True story.
40. I like to people watch. Not in a creepy, illegal way...seriously...
41. I only wear sandals in the summer. Makes for great tan lines on my feet.
42. Forty-two is my favorite number. Deepthought and I know why...
43. I HATE "reality" TV. Hate it. Wouldn't throw water on it if it was burning to death kind of hate it...
44. Thursday Next is my hero. I want to work at Jurisfiction some day.
45. Browseabout Bookstore is my favorite book store in the world! This place is not only the best in Delaware...it is absolutely the best independent book store I have ever been in. If you are ever in the Rehobeth Beach area you HAVE to go there. You will not be disappointed.
46. The hotwings at the Miltonian Pizzeria & Wing House in Milton, DE are AWESOME! Best wings in Delaware!
47. I can't believe I am only at forty-seven. Why did I start doing this?
48. I love my X-Box 360. When it works...
49. I sang A Capella in high school and college. Lots of practice in bathrooms.
50. I grew up near a drive-in theatre. My friend's dad ran the projector and I went to a lot of movies for free. Those were the days...
51. I hate flying. I am not afraid of the actual flight. It is dealing with all the associated BS with the airlines I can't stand. Would rather chew broken glass actually.
52. I have been to Alaska. In high school.
53. I put my hand through a window when I was eight. I was yelling at our dog to stop barking and I got a bit over excited. Three stitches...
54. I love history. Love to read about it and teach it.
55. I like LOTR more than Star Wars. Better story...all there is to it.
56. I am addicted to Fantasy Football. Yeah, I am that guy...CHAMPIONSHIP!
57. I spend too much time on the internets. Or so says my wife...
58. I like black olives. Right out of the can baby!
59. I worked at a WaWa in high school. Worst job I have ever had.
60. I worked in the library in college. Great time to finish homework.
61. I have a scar in the shape of Delaware on my right thumb. When I was in college I was helping a stranger jump the battery in her car. She started the car before I was ready for her to and the battery blew up in my face. Fortunately for me, the scar on my thumb is all that remains.
62. I got a hernia from cleaning the bathtub. Yes...from cleaning. Not doing something manly like re-grouting the tub or saving orphans from a fire. Cleaning...
63. The Shawshank Redemption is my favorite movie. Of all time. Ever.
64. There is no sixty-four.
65. I spend a lot of time at Theologyweb.com. It is a great community where Christians, Agnostics, Atheists, Muslims, Orthodox Jews, and Morphing Cats gather to discuss all things theological. It is a truly cool spot on the web.
66. I like ham. Especially Capicola...mmm...mmm...good!
67. Dill pickles are better than sweet pickles. Although...the Sweet Pickles did at one time have their own bus...
68. Dungeons and Dragons was my favorite Saturday morning cartoon as a wee lad. How can you not like a cartoon with voice talent like Willie Aames and Don Most?
69. I hit my brother (the one with the gay Eeyore tattoo) in the head with a railroad spike when we were kids. Some friends and I were trying to knock apples out of a tree. They were pretty high up and rocks were not working. We lived near some railroad tracks and there were dozens of rusty, discarded spikes lying around. We decided to use these to knock the apples free (I have mentioned earlier in this list that I was not a very bright child). So we began to toss these heavy iron spikes up into the tree. My brother, not realizing what complete asshats his brother and his brother's friends were, ran under the tree just as I launched a spike at an apple. I do not recall if I succeeded in hitting an apple but I did make contact with the back of my brother's head. To this day I STILL have not seen so much blood in one place outside of a Hellraiser movie.
70. I like to draw. Took art lessons as a kid. Now just do it for fun.
71. Wall-E and Guido are my two favorite Pixar character creations. More on these two guys later.
72. I can't dance. Not even a little bit.
73. I am a horrible ice skater. Have a bit more skills in this area than in the area of dance...but not many.
74. I talk in my sleep. One reason I would never cheat on my wife...
75. I like Broadway musicals. And I am secure enough to admit it.
76. I don't drink coffee. Love the smell...hate the taste.
77. I love Yeungling. My favorite beer. No froo-froo, fruity, snooty European beers for me thank you.
78. I have never had a hangover in my life. This could mean one of two things. One, I am immune to the affliction, which would make me one lucky SOB. Two, I just don't drink enough.
79. I have a talent for flatulence. Again...thank you ancestors.
80. My favorite series of books growing up was Dragonlance. A series I still love to this day...my wife calls them my "nerd books". I don't disagree but always ask her that, knowing this when she accepted my marriage proposal, what does that say about her?
81. I love trivia games. Lot of useless information rattling around this noggin of mine.
82. I almost killed my brother in a car accident when I was eighteen. I took on a Buick in my Pontiac Fiero and lost. Didn't even use a railroad spike this time...
83. I waited in line at midnight for Harry Potter books four through seven. Yeah...I am that guy as well...but at least I didn't dress up...
84. I love Gummy Bears. Who doesn't?
85. I use Firefox. If you don't...why the hell don't you?!?
86. My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1526. It's blue.
87. Daniel Craig is the best James Bond. Period. It is a title that belonged to Connery until two years ago. If you wish to dispute this, please do so in the comments. Can't wait for Quantum of Solace.
88. I am a Libra. Whatever the hell that means.
89. I liked the fourth Indiana Jones movie. Yes, even with the nuked fridge.
90. I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me. Good thought there. Then again he was the walrus. I could be the Walrus but I would still have to bum rides off of people. (You MUST know what movie this comes from...)
91. My favorite movie theater food is pretzel bites and spicy cheese. Especially when they are freshly made.
92. I play volleyball in an adult rec league. Balls of Fire can't be beat. Well...yes we can...quite often actually...
93. I got a D in Home Ec when I was in seventh grade. We had to make a pair of pants and I sewed the legs shut. Martha Stewart I am not, nor ever have been. The D was a gift from a very merciful teacher...
94. I have been ticketed for speeding four times in my life. Now how's THAT for some serious street cred...
95. I make faces at myself in the mirror when no one is watching.
96. Iced Tea is my favorite beverage. Especially Turkey Hill Sweet Tea. The rivers in heaven will flow with this stuff.
97. The first stories I ever wrote were of the "Choose Your Own Adventure" variety. Myself and several friends would make the books out of lined paper stapled together. This was circa third, fourth grade. Chicks dug us...HARD.
98. I don't have a very big sweet tooth. Unless we are talking about the aforementioned gummy bears.
99. It is 1:44 AM. Holy crap...am I almost finished?
100. I hope I haven't bored you and that you have read all 100 things. Otherwise this was one huge waste of time and brain cells.


13 comments:

  1. Kiss my ass about my eeyore tattoo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Chris...No...I said you WEREN'T gay...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are too funny. It is time to let go of the percoset!!! I remember you sent me a postcard when you went to Alaska and we were in the Mouse that Roared tofether. That was a one and done drama experience for me.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah yes...life in the Tiny Duchy of Grand Fenwick...those were the days...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brian! We are Cousins Under The Wa-Wa Umbrella. I worked at a Wa-Wa in South Jersey during the unfortunate time I was married. I wish it was as easy to forget the married days as it is to forget the partying days of the 80s, as it seems sex, drugs and rock and roll are infinitely better than marriage, at least in my case.

    And don't tell anybody over at Rickey's, but in the days of my youth (no, I wasn't told what it means to be man, unlike the guys in Zep), anyway, in those days, I actually watched a lot of Phillies games, because all the folks in my parents' home town of Shenandoah, Pa. were avid Phillies fans, and I spent a lot of time in that godforsaken coal fire burning hellhole. God, I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Deb

    Doesn't WaWa suck???

    And don't worry...your secret is safe with me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice stuff. You know, if you weren't a Phillies fan, you'd be a halfway decent person. (Rickey kids, he kids...)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Saying Wa Wa sucks is like saying the Phillies suck, uh, ah... excuse me, lol!

    But you get my drift, of course :).

    You know who my favorite Phillie was in those days? Richie "Call Me Dick" Allen. Man, that was a dude with a 'tude, for sure. And he could hit the shit out of a baseball. And he was hip, and cool, and my favorite cousin just loved him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i know why the fav. number is 42 muhahahahahahahaahahah

    ReplyDelete
  10. I, myself, like the words "fuckwad," "dipassfuckshit," "shitballhead," and my very very favorite "fuckyfuckyassfuckfuck."

    I like funny cursing, lol.

    Shitballhead. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Deb

    Cursing can be an art form. Sadly however too many just use it as their standard form of language.

    But I have to admit...I did giggle at shitballhead.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Does it count as "dressing up" to Harry Potter if you did it AFTER you were there for a Polaroid????? I'm just wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @ Erin

    Uhh...yeah...but if it made you happy that's all that matters!

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT HERE...YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO