Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Sticking my big toe into the pool...

I have stood at the edge of the great void that is my unfulfilled and until now, unvoiced dream; that of writing and publishing stories for people to read and enjoy, perhaps even be inspired by (or at least get some laughs). I have always loved to write and recently I have taken to writing here on the blog and writing down many of the silly fictions that live in my head. Some have been so awful I am surprised the computer did not shut down in disgust, refusing to have the horrible words rest upon its glowing screen, even if for only for a brief time. But others have been pretty OK I think, and have gotten positive reviews from those who have read them.

Yesterday I approached that vast, mysterious void and placed my big toe into its frigid waters.

I took one of my short stories and turned it into an eBook. It can be found living at two sites.

If you are the proud owner of a Kindle, you can pop over to Amazon.com and type my name, Brian D. Horne in the search window and they will take you to my Kindle page. Or you could just click here.

For some reason Amazon has not uploaded the description of the story to the page yet so I will include it here, and the eBooks dedication...


Teaching is a difficult profession, with its own unique set of demands and challenges. A young man who thinks he has a handle on this fact finds out one day that he is wrong. Dead wrong. While administering the state examination he finds out how difficult, and how deadly, teaching can really be.


Dedication for The Testing Police

This eBook was originally written for Val. It is also dedicated to hard working, professional educators everywhere who have to contend with the cosmic silliness that is standardized state testing.



The other site where you can find my first eBook is over at Smashwords. What I like about this site is they offer nine choices for how one can download the story. You don't have to own a Kindle. You could have another kind of digital reader or just the browser you are using to read this here blog. As my wife always says...it's all about choices!


If you have the time and are so inclined please check it out. Teachers especially will like the story I think, but you don't have to be a teacher to get and enjoy it.

If you do pick up the story, I would be eternally grateful if you could take a moment or two to review it. Either site, Amazon or Smashwords, has a section where you can let me (and the rest of the world) know what you thought about it.

Thank you for your time dear friends, I know how valuable it is.

If you DO grab and read the story, come back here and tell me what you think the note said. I look forward to reading any responses.

My toe is getting cold...time to decide if I should take my foot out of the water or just dive right in, clothes and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT HERE...YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO